On November 22, 1950, Norris Herndon established The Alonzo F. and Norris B. Herndon Foundation, Inc. The Foundation was established as a non-profit corporation to be used exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, literary and educational purposes.
Since its inception, the Foundation has been a major benefactor to metro-Atlanta institutions and organizations, including but not limited to First Congregational Church, Gate City Day Nursery Association, Greater Atlanta Community Chest, and Morris Brown College. At the national level, the Foundation supported the cause of economic and social development associated with the civil rights movement via contributions to the United Negro College Fund, Inc., and the N.A.A.C.P. Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. Since 1983, the Foundation has been committed to the financial support and operation of the Herndon family residence as a home museum. In the year 2000, the Herndon Home Museum was added to the distinguished list of properties of the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the Foundation continues to support a number of charitable endeavors, including projects designed to stoke the same entrepreneurial dedication exemplified by the Herndon legacy.