HERNDON SCHOLAR PROGRAM
The mission of the Foundation is to increase awareness and appreciation of the significance of the Herndon family, perhaps the most prominent African-American family in Atlanta’s history. Alonzo Herndon rose to prominence as an entrepreneur and a philanthropist, despite being born into slavery. Norris Herndon expanded the family’s legacy, establishing institutions that continue to exist until this very day. In sum, the Herndons’ story exemplifies the merits of hard work and strategic thinking.
To honor the Herndons, and in line with their dedication to education, the Alonzo F. and Norris B. Herndon Foundation launched the Herndon Scholar Program and provided 7 four-year, $20,000 scholarships to premier colleges and universities in the greater Atlanta area. The university-managed scholarship is designed to assist undergraduate students pursuing a business degree who demonstrate the academic commitment, financial need, and personal understanding of the Herndon legacy.
Students who qualify for the scholarship must satisfy the following criteria:
- Completion of a scholarship application
- Submission of a 500-word essay on the Herndon story and how it personally applies to their lives
- Full-time enrollment with a 3.0 GPA as a college student or high school senior
- Demonstration of a financial need
- Demonstration of character and leadership
Other considerations include:
- Prior participation in the Alonzo F. Herndon Game Changer Entrepreneur Program, a high school-based program designed to promote entrepreneurship
- Connections to Atlanta’s Vine City area
- Interest in participating as a volunteer Herndon Ambassador at the Herndon family’s historical home
Herndon Scholars exist at the following Georgia colleges and universities:
Clark Atlanta University
Clayton State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Georgia State University
Morris Brown College
Please contact the Herndon Foundation at 404.581.9813 for more information.